ASSISTANT MEDICAL DIRETOR OF ANESTHESIOLOGY DUTIES
The Assistant Medical Director of Anesthesiology is responsible for the development, implementation and management of policies and procedures relating to peri-operative anesthesia services at the hospital, serve on requested hospital committees as a representative of the anesthesia department, as delegated by the Medical Director of the Anesthesia Department, serve as Medical Director of the Anesthesia Department during the absence of the Director and work in collaboration with Mercy Downtown/Southwest Hospitals and Somnia to achieve the mutual objectives off those organizations.
The position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the mission of the Somnia organization. It is expected that the Assistant Medical Director of Anesthesiology demonstrate behavior consistent with the core values and support Somnia’s strategic plan.
Demonstrates competence in leadership, communication, professionalism, organizational and analytical skills, technical/professional skill and knowledge in performance of duties and responsibilities rendered to the customer population served.
- Alignment of the Mission, Vision and Values of the Anesthesia Department with those of Dignity Mercy Hospitals, Downtown and Southwest.
- Review, assess and make suggested edits to peri-operative anesthesia policies, procedures and protocols.
- Participate in any and all committees or boards that may impact clinical care. (These may include meetings pertaining to OR utilization, Quality, SCIP, HFAP, Medical Directors, Surgical Chiefs, Surgical Exec Ops, etc.).
- Participate in the development of evidence based best practice multidisciplinary protocols to enhance quality of care and patient safety. (Examples may include projects related to perioperative management of safe transfers, glycemic control, pacemakers, Obstructive sleep apnea, Sepsis, etc.).
- Collaborate with Director of Anesthesiology and Somnia Chief Medical Officer and Somnia administrators in the development and reporting of Quality Indicators. Collaborate with the OB to incorporate OB and Perinatal Quality Data.
- Facilitate the ongoing development of a Pre-op Clinic.
- Strategic Planning. Participate in the development and refinement of surgical product lines and markets in concert with UMC administration.
- Represent Dignity and Somnia at community, political and social events or other marketing activities as appropriate.
- Assist with, and serve as a resource for, the Hospital as it seeks state licensure and accreditation or reaccreditation.
- Assist in preparation and/or remain in state of readiness to satisfy all pediatric and general anesthesia sections during accreditation and regulatory surveys by relevant governmental, accreditation and other regulatory agencies.
- Support and assist the nursing department in achieving their clinical and administrative goals.
- Acts as the interface between the anesthesia department and
- Hospital administration
- Director of OR
- Chair of Surgery Department
- Critical Care Leadership
- Emergency Department Leadership
- Respiratory Therapy
- Somnia Corporate Offices
- Attend local and national meetings relating to peri-operative anesthesiology and quality improvement. Integrate national evidence-based best practices into the protocols for anesthesia care at the Hospital.
- Encourage Continuing Quality Improvement and Continuing Medical Education.
- Operations – Assist the Medical Director as follows:
- Oversee optimum staffing of the anesthesia department based on OR needs and in collaboration with Medical Director and the practice administrator
- Supervise and support staff anesthesiologists and CRNA’s assigned to specific operating rooms/locations
- Prepare policies and procedures and monitor compliance relating to the assignments of CRNA’s
- Communicate with on-call Anesthesia providers
- Implement and supervise preoperative patient workup/clearance requirements
- Ensure compliance with Anesthesia Discharge standards and instructions
- Perform Duties as Anesthesia Coordinator or delegation of Anesthesia Coordinator
- Manage Incidents or complications
- Attend Utilization Committee and providing input concerning surgical block times.
- Provide input on anesthesia carts (Difficult airway, Malignant Hyperthermia, Regional Anesthesia, Code, Pediatric, etc.).
- Somnia Corporate Support Duties:
- Perform Clinical Evaluations (CE) for Hospital anesthesia candidates and candidates for other Somnia facilities, as assigned. Recommend new candidates for hire by AAEP and affiliated entities
- Travel to prospective new anesthesia clients in the region, attend business development meeting, conduct needs assess and related supporting services towards acquiring new clients in the region
- Assist in quality management functions for other hospitals and health centers
- Perform other general administrative and support duties on behalf of Somnia Inc. as needed and assigned.